Serving more than 600 immigrants from 94 countries, the English-Speaking Union (ESU) created EiA to improve speaking skills and bolster cultural fluency. Now, 30+ years later, ESU wants to expand beyond NYC.
Nonprofit: The English-Speaking Union (ESU)
For nearly 100 years, the highly regarded ESU has offered programs that promote effective conversational English, cultural integration and an appreciation of our splendid language. Among its best known are the National Shakespeare Competition and English in Action (EiA), a 1:1 mentoring program to give new USA residents confidence with the language. In preparation for a geo-targeted rollout of EiA, a cornerstone of ESU’s strategic plan, this non-profit gold standard first wants our help tuning up the local EiA program and preparing organizationally for national launch.
Project: How to Gear Up a Winning Program for National Expansion
Our session will have the overarching purpose of recommending steps the English-Speaking Union should take prior to expanding its EiA program beyond NYC. Specifically:
- What Corporate resources are required to plan, execute and manage this expansion?
- What model of expansion (owned, franchised, etc.) is best?
- How should the English-Speaking Union build brand recognition to attract staff and participants?
- Should management make any changes to the local program before expansion?
- Interested HBS alumni should sign up by April 26th at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/J6DRQ6D.
- The brainstorming session will be held May 10th, 6:00 – 8:00 pm.
- The brainstorming session will last approximately two hours and be held at The English-Speaking Union, 144 East 39th Street, New York City.
- Questions? Contact Project Coordinator Barry Puritz, MBA ’65, email@example.com.