The NYC Urban Debate League wants assistance in mapping out a sustainable growth strategy for its rapidly expanding debate programs in NYC.
NYC Urban Debate League’s (NYCUDL) mission is to provide every NYC student with access to debate education opportunities through debate teams at all city schools. Debate teaches a broad range of academic skills including reading, writing, researching, public speaking, and critical thinking, and touches all academic subjects. The NYCYUDL now serves only a fraction of City schools and students.
Project Inquiries | Urban Debate League
Nonprofit: New York City Urban Debate League
workshops and camps. Serving over 3000 students and 100 schools, it is the largest debate league in the nation. It sponsors the highly successful High School Debate League, with participating students winning top awards at every National Championship, and it pioneered both Elementary School and Girls Debate Leagues. Nevertheless, the League now serves
only a small fraction of NYC students and has tremendous opportunities for growth.
The objective of the project is to develop an actionable growth plan based on an evaluation of alternative growth strategies.
Elements of the plan will include:
- Assessing alternative models for growth (e.g. priorities for schools, sequencing of expansion)
- Modeling resource requirements including people, skills, and funding for selected models
- Evaluating potential funding sources such as earned income and potential partnerships
- Options will be evaluated against a robust set of criteria including fit with NYC Urban Debate League mission and goals, quality of programs, resource utilization per participant, etc.
- Of special appeal to alums interested in academic approaches to the development of critical thinking skills.
- Kick-off meeting to be scheduled for late October.
- Time commitment approximately 10-15 hours per month for 3-4 months.
- Questions? Contact Project Coordinators: Charley Beever, MBA 1978, firstname.lastname@example.org; Jessica Ziegler, MBA 1984, email@example.com.